San Marcos Lowman Airfield
Copied from http://www.airfields-freeman.com/TX/Airfields_TX_Austin_W.htm
Lowman Field is the 2nd airport for the town of San Marcos and was located 4 miles southwest of the town, along the southeast side of Route 81 (what would eventually become Interstate 35). That airport was apparently built at some point between 1955-57, as it was not depicted on the 1955 San Antonio Sectional Chart (according to David Brooks). The earliest reference to the San Marcos Municipal Airport which has been located was in the 1957 Aviation Week & Business Flyers Airport Directory (according to David Brooks).
The earliest depiction of the San Marcos Municipal Airport which has been located was on the 1958 San Antonio Sectional Chart (according to David Brooks).The March 1960 San Antonio Sectional Chart (courtesy of Chris Kennedy) and the January 1961 World Aeronautical Chart (courtesy of Chris Kennedy) described San Marcos as having a 3,400' unpaved runway.
San Marcos apparently gained a paved runway within the next year, as the 1962 AOPA Airport Directory described San Marcos as having a 3,400' asphalt Runway 4/22 & an 1,800' gravel Runway 17/35. The operator was listed as B.E. Beecroft.
The 1963 TX Airport Directory (courtesy of Steve Cruse) depicted San Marcos as having a total of 5 hangars along the northwest side of Runway 4/22. The airport manager was listed as A. Churchill, and the operators were listed as Gafford Aero Repair & San Marcos Aviation.
After the much larger Gary AFB (northeast of the town of San Marcos) had been closed by the military and became the new San Marcos Municipal Airport, the original San Marcos Municipal Airport was sold to Robert Lowman in late 1966, and the field was renamed Robert Lowman Airport in 1967 (according to David Brooks).
Lowman Airport was depicted on the 1968 San Antonio Sectional Chart (courtesy of David Brooks)
as having a single 3,300' paved runway.
Lowman Airport was still depicted on the 1980 San Antonio Sectional Chart (according to David Brooks). Robert Lowman Airport was still listed as an active airfield in the 1982 AOPA Airport Directory (courtesy of Ed Drury),and described as having a single 3,300' asphalt Runway 4/22 & a 2,200' gravel Runway 17/35.
Lowman Airport was apparently closed (for reasons unknown) at some point in 1982, as it was marked “Closed” on the 1982 San Antonio Sectional Chart (according to David Brooks), and was no longer listed among active airfields in the 1985 TX Airport Directory.
In the 1995 USGS aerial photo, the outline of both former runways is still perceptible, but all of the pavement of the former Runway 4/22 has been removed except for a small portion along the northeast end, which still has a closed runway "X" marking at its very end.The former hangars still remained standing, and were apparently being reused for some commercial purpose.
Garry Mangum recalled of the original San Marcos Airport : "It was used for some time after it closed as a general aviation field for the flight of radio controlled aircraft. I flew there at couple of events on Memorial Day weekend during the late 1990s. It sadly had to close also due to development."
The former airfield was no longer depicted at all (even as an abandoned airfield) on the 1998 World Aeronautical Chart.The airfield site is located south of the intersection of Interstate 35 & Redwood Road.